May 28, 2012 in Uncategorized
This month, for The Secret Recipe Club, I was assigned the blog Baking and Creating with Avril. Avril’s a lovely girl and care-giver from the United States, and her blog features many yummy recipes. One that I really liked was the S’mores Brownies. I finally made her Restaurant-style salsa.
I absolutely love salsa. Apart from the fact that’s so easy and quick, I just love the tangy taste and the flavour it can add to many different dishes, even the non-mexican ones! When I saw Avril’s recipe for the salsa which she in turn got from The Pioneer Woman (whom I adore), I knew I had to try it out.
And this one turned out delicious! The addition of sugar and cumin gave it a whole different depth of flavour, I just loved it! I think I added a tad too much of the cilantro, so it was more greenish than red, but it tasted awesome nonetheless. The only change I made was that I used fresh tomatoes instead of canned ones, and used canned jalapenos instead of fresh ones.
8 whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup chopped red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped jalapenos
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 whole lemon, juiced
1. Combine the tomatoes, onions, jalapeno pepper, garlic, garlic salt, sugar, cumin, lime juice and cilantro in the bowl of a food processor or blender.
2. PULSE until you get the salsa to the consistency you’d like.
3. Test with a tortilla chip for taste/seasoning and adjust as needed.
4. Refrigerate salsa for at least an hour before serving.
5. Serve with your favorite chips or cheese nachos.